Daft Punk is on a mind-blowingly cool tour. Aside from, you know, being Daft Punk, they’ve assembled dazzling futuristic visuals, slick leather jumpsuits, and sophisticated, animated LED helmets.
What? You want to tour with LED helmets, too? It’s easy, outlined in a PDF by the creators. I can make the steps even more brief:
1. Cast your face and make a bust of the face and clay models of all the parts.
2. Modify a motorcycle helmet for the electronics.
3. Design your own LED display and controller board.
4. Glue in LEDs … one … at … a time … and connect three feet of wiring per LED.
5. Build another custom PC board for a control keypad on the armband. (Hey, step #3 was easy enough, right?)
6. Custom manufacture all the exterior plastic and finishing.
The best way to experience all of this is in person, naturally, but here’s a roundup of some terrific coverage.
Daft Punk Concert report and lots of technical details, via our friend Chris O’Shea / Pixelsumo (who points to all the details on the visuals and costumes)
Word of an Upcoming Daft Punk Movie, from our friend and CDM contributor Quantazelle (Liz McLean Knight)
Many, many, many Daft Punk videos on dailymotion.com
Brilliant black-and-white snaps backstage on Flickr from leather jumpsuit designer Hedi Slimane
Alien, futuristic action figures — because they can.
Gobs of videos of the pair in action:
The utter rockness of Daft Punk:
Want more style when dancing to Daft Punk? Just bend the fabric of space and time to warp your dancing moves. Or, um, video it and then do it in post, as this young woman does (via the lovely EtherBomb blog):
And the upcoming movie trailer:
No YouTube round-up of Daft Punk would be complete with out Music thing’s “visual aid” to the samples used in the songs:
See Tom’s blog entry for full discussion.