“What if, instead of targeting Web content to a single day, you turned it into an object that would last a season? What would you want to save and savor?”
That’s the question I ask at the beginning of the Create Digital Music Winter 08 guide. We’ve filled it with good stuff we love, plus good stuff we hear that you love (via our survey of hundreds of readers for the holiday guide). Via Creative Commons-licensed images, you’ve shared your world of music, and so we share the whole guide as fully free work (it’s got a CC Attribution / ShareAlike license).
Here’s some of what’s inside – we wanted stories that you’d want to live with the whole winter season:
- Circuit bending 101 with Michael Una
- Imagining synths: reflections on the design of electronic instruments with Dan McPharlin, creator of wonderful miniature synths handmade from cardboard
- Tutorial on slicing audio to MIDI in Ableton Live 7, with tips from Live guru Francis Preve plus a free accompanying CDM pack designed by Covert Operators at http://covops.org/cdm
- Holiday Guide, with your favorite gear and software of the year, listening and reading suggestions, and ideas on open hardware from monome creator Brian Crabtree
- Creative tips for surviving winter in Berlin, courtesy monolake (Robert Henke)
- Images from the CDM community and beyond
With the help of graphic editor Nathanael Jeanneret, the results are designed to be an object on paper or read on high-resolution displays. The PDF is available free, with an on-demand print version from Lulu available worldwide (US$19.99 before shipping). I just ordered my print copy rush, so I’ll let you know what it looks like as this is the first time we’ve tried this.
A big thanks to our sponsors for making this possible:
Ableton Live, our premiere sponsor; now with an unlimited 14-day trial
Audiofile Engineering, makers of Wave Editor for Mac
Highly Liquid DIY MIDI electronics maker
Covert Operators, creators of Live Packs and video tutorials for Ableton Live
I’m really eager to hear what you think.